In Goddess Pose, we tap into the divine feminine, embodying both softness and strength. Use this asana to feel grounded, strong, empowered, and entitled to take up a lot of space.
devi = goddess; asana = pose
AKA: Utkata Konasana (Fierce Angle), Horse or Equestrian Stance, Temple Pose
- Strengthens the legs and back.
- Stretches the chest, hips, and back.
- Improves circulation to the digestive and reproductive systems.
- Cultivates a balance of surrender and strength.
- Face the long edge of your mat with your feet wider than hip width, 2-3 feet apart. Rotate toes out wider than heels, at about a 45-degree angle. Press all four corners of the feet into the ground, relaxing the toes.
- Place your hands on your waist. Press up through the crown, and tilt the back of the pelvis down to engage your abdominals and lengthen your low back.
- Bend your knees over your ankles, feeling your tailbone descend. Maintain length in low back.
- Lift your arms out to the side to shoulder height with the palms facing forward. With the upper arms parallel to the ground, bend your elbows to a 90-degree angle, fingers pointing up toward the sky. Relax shoulders, and spread fingers wide.
- Draw the chin slightly back and in, lengthening your cervical spine and aligning your head over your torso.
- To release, straighten the legs and arms, rotate feet to parallel, then walk the feet in and relax arms by your sides.
- Place hands on thighs for support.
- Hold the position with back to the wall for stability and proper alignment.
- Add arm movements - move shoulders, alternating into external and internal rotation.
- Lift heels.
- Palms facing in toward center or connected overhead.
Check with your healthcare provider before beginning any physical practice. If you have inguinal hernia or knee, hip or low back issues, practice at the wall and/or keep your hands on your waist, thighs, or in anjali mudra (prayer position) at the chest throughout the posture. As always, if a posture causes pain, come out of it immediately. Ask a qualified yoga teacher for assistance.